Acne is a relentless foe for many that affects over half of the adult population in the United States. Countless individuals endure years of acne struggles, trying various treatments with little to no lasting relief.
Today I want to shed light on how the power of Functional Medicine can be harnessed to address acne at its root cause.
Functional Medicine for Clear Skin
At Core Wellness Functional Medicine, our journey towards conquering acne begins with an extensive assessment with me. These initial appointments are thorough, lasting well beyond the typical doctor’s visit—often more than an hour. We delve into your symptoms, health history, and past treatments. Subsequently, we may recommend essential tests to pinpoint the origins of your acne.
These crucial tests may include:
- Blood tests to uncover nutrient deficiencies that can exacerbate acne, such as zinc and omega-3 levels.
- Hormone evaluations through spit or dried urine tests.
- Functional stool analysis to assess gut bacteria and identify any infections or imbalance of gut bacteria.
Once we receive your test results, I, with the help of our esteemed Functional Nutritionist, will craft a personalized treatment plan just for you. Together we will evaluate your overall nutrition status, help you devise a practical meal plan to address the root causes of your acne, and suggest necessary vitamin/mineral supplements.
Exploring Common Acne Triggers
Now let’s delve into some of the primary culprits behind acne:
- Poor Gut Health: Imbalances in gut bacteria, or dysbiosis, frequently contribute to acne. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), a specific form of dysbiosis, is often linked to acne. Research indicates that SIBO is substantially more prevalent in individuals with acne compared to healthy controls.
- High Androgens: Elevated levels of androgens, like testosterone and DHEA-S, can lead to excess oil production and acne, particularly in women. Conditions such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) are known to elevate androgen levels, affecting about 30% of women with PCOS.
- High Cortisol Levels: Chronic, low-grade stress can elevate stress hormones like cortisol, making breakouts more likely. Stress management is crucial in acne management.
Functional Medicine Interventions for Acne
While the specific protocol depends on your unique test results and health history, here are some interventions we may recommend to combat acne:
- Improve Gut Health: We specializes in comprehensive stool tests, providing vital insights into your gut health. This information guides your personalized treatment plan, which may include an elimination diet, antimicrobials to eliminate harmful gut bacteria, and specific probiotics for acne.
- Balance Your Blood Sugar: Insulin resistance, often resulting from improper insulin response, can raise testosterone levels, exacerbating acne. We will work with you to establish healthy eating and exercise habits to stabilize blood sugar levels and reduce insulin resistance.
- Boost Skin Nutrients: Certain vitamins and minerals, such as zinc and healthy fats, play a role in acne severity. Supplementation with these essential nutrients, along with an anti-inflammatory diet, can help reduce inflammation and acne breakouts.
- Lower Stress Hormones: We will work with you to lower your cortisol (stress hormone) levels through lifestyle recommendations and supplements like DHEA and Ashwaganda. These changes can lower cortisol levels, reducing the likelihood of breakouts.
Acne can be a persistent challenge, but through Functional Medicine we can uncover and address its underlying causes. To support your journey to clear skin, we’ve bundled our most recommended acne supplements — a spore based probiotic, a combination skin product, and the proper combination of omega fats — into an acne supplement bundle. This bundle promotes optimal gut health, reduces skin oil production, and mitigates overall inflammation.
Embrace the power of functional medicine to unlock the secret to clear, radiant skin.
Acnutrol™ is a combination product formulated to support for healthy skin.pantothenic acid, carnitine, zinc, copper, selenium, chromium, niacin, biotin, and vitamins B6, A, D, and Vitamin E Isomers.*
OmegAvail™ Synergy has a unique omega 3-6-7-9 fatty acids formula. This well-balanced mixture of fats helps keep down inflammation.
Improve gut health with this spore based probiotic This unique all-spore formula effectively RECONDITIONS the gut by promoting microbial diversity and maintaining key health-promoting, commensal gut bacteria.